Monday, November 12, 2012

A garden post..

Welcome to Karisma's back yard, where the wild things used to grow. Where there is now a lot of concrete for skateboarding young men and the gardens have been changed to "around the fence" type gardens...


Of course it is a work in progress.......slowly working my way around the yard......



To where the dirt was once piled along the fence. I have been sifting a bit at a time to clear out all the debris and such 


A bit of chicken wire over the box and no more bits of junk, grass roots or other icky bits in the soil. All organic matter added to the compost to rot down and the icky bits in the bin. 


I can just hear some of you thinking but what could possibly fit in there? Well, in true Karisma fashion, even though I planted a few things. The nature faeries lent a helping hand and well, you know how that goes...... Parsley pops up between the Rosemary and the Yarrow.......


It pops up quite a bit and even though you eat it and eat it, it finally ends up like this.... oh goodie.... loads of seeds for next time......


And although I planted some lovely lavender and flowers here, a couple of stray tomatoes planted themselves too............


This lot got huge awfully quick...and we are having a bit of a cabbage moth problem. The bok choy is suffering but the chilli, eggplants, Zucchini and peas are doing well......


The tomatoes that I DID plant myself are behaving like they are on steroids and are now higher than the six foot fence. (These are only half of them. Tomatoes anyone?)  They have grown ridiculously huge to the point I am wondering how I will get in there to fetch the tomatoes. In there also, are some cucumbers, marigolds and more peas....

....somewhere....


My beautiful Elder Flower which strangled my husbands Mango tree and was sentenced to death by him, has re-emerged in pots, lots of pots...because well, I love her to bits, she makes wonderful medicine for the family, I am not going to get berries this year but am confident plenty of flowers will emerge in the new year. 


This is the garden where I planted some chilli, some spinach, some silverbeet and some celery...... several other plants have emerged and kind of taken over. I plan to move the chillie in a few days lest it get lost in there. LOL 

  
 I wonder if you can see what else is emerging in all that gorgeous green? Here is a bit of a close up. There are 5 different leaves here. Can you recognise them all? Two of them look very much the same but smell very different....


I will tell you later. Lets see if you can guess them first. ;-) 

We have quite a lot of beetroot, radish, lettuce and spinach too that we have been picking as we need it.  The Tansy is growing under my peach tree, a little late to help this year. We got worms in the peaches as the flies were not deterred due to the concreters burying my Tansy which was the last one I had. Again the garden fairies grew me several more so I am very thankful. 


Along with the Tansy if you look closely is some yarrow, some mint, some daisies, some asparagus and to the left another tomato which I will have to move. 



Also in my garden today......my hardworking homeschooler........



Ahem......son, you are not sleeping in this glorious sunshine are you? 



No, no, not at all Mum, I am doing my math work, really I am......



It was about this time that we moved the "math" work inside lest the sun take us out for the whole day. More time for gardening in the afternoon. 

Have a beautiful day everyone! Miko says HI.....




Hugs and smoochies xoxoxox

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this wonderful tour around your garden, Karisma :) Your plants are all looking good. I guess the tomatoes will give you a good crop this year. Love the Buddha, and the elder bushes in pots are really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Those are the smaller elder flowers, I also have some larger pots too. Hoping they grow all right in them.

      Delete
  2. Do you find the narrow beds easier to work? It seems like they should be. With all that concrete around, is heat an issue? Your garden is still lovely, even pushed to the edges as it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and No, If there was room around the back it would be awesome but I can't quite reach across the back and the dogs keep jumping in them which is really annoying. The little fences helped at first but then they just jumped them. With the old garden we had a high fence all the way around. The concrete has not really been that hot as yet. Summer I think it will but we just garden early morning or when the sun starts to set. There is a large area to the right with the lemon tree that is all in the shade too so I can play there if I want to when its hot. :-)

      Delete
  3. Everything looks beautiful. Thanks for posting the photos.

    ReplyDelete

Speak to me! You know you want to!